Whiskey Smash is a recipe for lovers and non-lovers of this distillate, it is simple but with many flavors!
What is a Whiskey Smash?
Its simple ingredients make it a straightforward cocktail to prepare and classy for everyone!
Jerry Thomas was the creator of this iconic cocktail in the 1990s, Smash Recipes are those that are prepared with Whiskey, Fresh Lemon Juice, Fresh Mint Leaves, and Simple Syrup!
Ingredients For a Whiskey Smash
The whiskey Smash recipe is straightforward and easy to prepare, grab the following ingredients:
- Bourbon- The main ingredient for this recipe, you can also use Canadian whiskey if you don’t like bourbon!
- Mint- Fresh mint leaves will give it that aroma and freshness!
- Lemon Juice– It will bring citrocity and vibrant color as well as elegance and class to our recipe!
- Simple Syrup- It will balance the citrus of the lemon juice; you can use agave syrup or optional Honey!
- Ice- I used a large cube of ice but also you can use crushed ice.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
How to Make a Whiskey Smash?
You will love this King Cocktail for quick and easy preparation in 5 minutes total time!
You must try it!
Combine lemon wedges, mint leaves, and simple syrup in a mixing glass or cocktail shaker.
Smash with a cocktail muddler or with a handle of a wooden spoon.
Add your favorite Bourbon whiskey and plenty of fresh ice and mix or give a good shake.
Strain into a rocks glass or mason jar with ice and garnish with a mint sprig or lemon wedges and Enjoy!
Variation of a Whiskey Smash
Just be creative!
Gin – Substitute whiskey for gin and you’ll get herbal and botanical flavors.
Vodka- If you like a more neutral distillate, this is perfect for replacing whiskey.
Mint Tea – Add 2 oz to enhance the flavor!
Orange Liqueur- Add some Grand Marnier or Cointreau to enhance the citrus flavor!
Rosemary- Substitute fresh rosemary for the mint to give the recipe another twist, you will love the result!
Berries- Add some fresh strawberries or blueberries to give it another twist of flavors and aromas!
Coconut Water- Add 2 oz of this refreshing and hydrating coconut water to this spectacular recipe!
When to Serve Whiskey Smash?
This classic drink has a great flavor, and it´s refreshing for any occasion!
Try it as a:
- Beach Time
- Pool Parties
- BBQ Party
- On a Game Day
- Lunch with Family
- Happy Hour Drink
- On a Summer hot day
- In a Pic Nic
What is The Best Bourbon for This Cocktail?
Guide to Bourbons
The best bourbon whiskeys of 2023
- Woodford Reserve-Today it is one of the highest quality bourbons in the world! It is kept for more than 6 years of maturation in American oak barrels, it is composed of rye, corn, and barley, it has a fruity flavor of caramel and vanilla with hints of cocoa, cinnamon, and citrus, it is creamy on the palate with a long finish.
- Buffalo Trace Bourbon-This is a well-known and award-winning label in the United States! It is made with corn, rye, and malted barley matured from 7 to 12 years in American toasted oak barrels, it has a sweet flavor of caramel, mint, and candied fruit with smoky touches, and the finish on the palate is long and spicy!
- Maker’s Mark-It has a unique soft red winter wheat characteristic you don’t find in other whiskies. It is also made up of corn and malted barley, matured between 6 and 7 years with a plus of 150-year yeast that gives it a touch of quality, its flavor is sweet, caramelized with vanilla and fruity hints!
- Bulleit Bourbon Frontier-This one has a higher concentration of rye, so its flavor is spicier and not sweet, its maturation is at least 2 years, and it has a spicy aroma and oak wood flavored with maple and nutmeg with a long finish.
- Four Roses-It has a very good value for money, and, like Bulleit, it has a large concentration of rye. It is aged from 5 to 12 years in American toasted oak barrels, which gives it a flavor of pear, green apple, cinnamon, and subtle wood with Floral aroma, spicy, honey, fruit, and wood, it is smooth and easy to drink!
With this perspective, you can choose one of these bourbons or the one you like best to prepare Whiskey Smash.
Use large ice cubes to keep it cold longer for a better presentation.
All you need to know about making a Whiskey Smash Cocktail? How to muddle mint! Muddling is gently mashing herbs or fruits to release their juices. This is how you infuse mint flavor into the drink!
You Also Might Love:
Did You Make This Recipe?
Snap a picture and mention: @mixop.cocktails
- 2 ounces of Bourbon Whiskey
- 3 Lemon wedges
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 2-3 mint leaves
- crushed ice
- Combine lemon wedges, mint leaves, and simple syrup in a mixing glass or cocktail shaker
- Smash with a cocktail muddler or with a handle of a wooden spoon.
- Add your favorite Bourbon whiskey and plenty of ice and mix or give a good shake.
- Strain into a rocks glass with ice and garnish with a mint sprig or lemon wedges and Enjoy!
- Use large ice cubes to keep it cold longer for a better presentation.
- All you need to know about making a WhiskeySmash? How to muddle mint! Muddling is gently mashing herbs or fruits to release their juices. This is how you infuse mint flavor into the drink!
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 17mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 9gSugar 13gProtein 4g
Nutrition information isn´t always accurate!