This Bourbon Sour is a vibrant cocktail made with a smooth bourbon base. It turns it into an elegant citrus cocktail, obtaining a precise point of acidity and sweetness that create a perfect combination of sensations!
What is a Bourbon Sour?
Bourbon features distinctive flavors of vanilla, oak, fruit, spice, and honey. This deep flavor is subtle and complex without being overpowering, making it easy to enjoy.
Let’s go for this delicious 5 ingredients Bourbon Sour cocktail recipe, the base is Bourbon, Elderflower liqueur, Lemon juice, Egg white, and Simple Syrup.
Ingredients For a Bourbon Sour
You will love to make this simple recipe; you will get your creativity to decorate your cocktail and look vibrant!
- Bourbon- The king of this party will give us flavors of wood, vanilla, caramel, oak, spices, and honey!
- Elderflower Liqueur- This liquor will give us complexity with very structured and subtle notes of elderflowers with a low proof of alcohol.
- Lemon juice- is citrusy and acidity, it is essential that it is freshly squeezed juice for a better result in flavor.
- Simple syrup- This will give us the balance of the acidity of the lemon juice.
- Egg white- Creates foam and gives texture to our cocktail; it can be replaced by aquafaba.
- Maraschino Cherries- This is optional for garnish to give an elegant touch!
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
How to Make a Bourbon Sour?
You will love this Bourbon Sour for quick and easy preparation!
You must try it!
1.-In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes, add Bourbon, Elderflower liqueur, freshly squeezed Lemon juice, Simple syrup, and Egg white.
2.-Shake vigorously for 8-12 sec.
3.- Strain into a rocks glass with a large ice cube, top with a garnish of maraschino cherries or orange slice and ENJOY!
Why is it Called Sour?
Exactly the term sour is translated as acid or sour. A flavor that we can usually find in some cocktails or mixed drinks is known as classic Whiskey Sour or Pisco Sour.
we can use fresh lime or lemon juice, balancing it with sugar, to give it texture and a bit of foam usually raw eggs or some other substitution like aquafaba which is made with the juice of a can of chickpeas.
Variation of a Bourbon Sour
Try this variation:
Red Wine– Put a little red wine to float, this will give it a unique flavor and it will look incredible!
Muddle Cherries- Mash about 3 cherries this will enhance the flavor and add a pink color!
Rosemary- Add a rosemary stick to get a fresher aroma and flavor.
Basil- Do the same as with rosemary, you will love its flavor with just a fresh basil leaf.
What is The Best Bourbon for This Cocktail?
Guide to Bourbons
The best bourbon whiskeys of 2023
- Woodford Reserve-Today it is one of the highest quality bourbons in the world! This is one of my favorites and I had the opportunity to visit the very recent distillery where I learned part of its distillation process!
- Buffalo Trace Bourbon-This is a well-known and award-winning label in the United States! It is made with corn, rye, and malted barley matured from 7 to 12 years in American toasted oak barrels, it has a sweet flavor of caramel, mint, and candied fruit with smoky touches, and the finish on the palate is long and spicy!
- Maker’s Mark-It has a unique soft red winter wheat characteristic that you don’t find in any other whisky.
- Four Roses-It has a very good value for money, and, like Bulleit, it has a large concentration of rye. It is aged from 5 to 12 years in American toasted oak barrels, which gives it a flavor of pear, green apple, cinnamon, and subtle wood with Floral aroma, spicy, honey, fruit, and wood, it is smooth and easy to drink!
With this perspective, you can choose one of these bourbons or the one you like best to prepare Bourbon Sour.
When to Serve this Cocktail?
This stunning cocktail, it´s refreshing for any occasion!
Try it as a:
- Beach Time
- Pool Parties
- Reading your favorite book
- Lunch with Family
- Happy Hour Drink
- On a hot day
- After Dinner
Frequently Asked Questions?
What is the Proper Way to Order Bourbon?
For the experts on the subject, they will tell you that the best way is to ask for it to be neat and they will serve it at room temperature, personally, I like bourbon with a large ice cube or in cocktails with a citrus flavor, at the end of it all it is how you enjoy it!
What Makes Bourbon Different From Whisky?
Bourbon It is made from corn and has a designation of origin that can only be produced in the US state of Kentucky and whiskey can be made from different grains such as barley, wheat, and rye.
How to Make Simple Syrup?
It is very easy to make it at home! You will need 1 cup of sugar for 1 cup of water, you will put it in a pan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, and add an ounce lemon juice.
If you need to do more, the formula is very easy, always equal parts!
Let cool until liquid and put it in a jar with a lid and leave it in the fridge.
You Also Might Love:
Did You Make This Recipe?
Snap a picture and mention: @mixop.cocktails
- 1 ½ oz Bourbon
- ½ oz Elderflower liqueur
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- ½ oz simple syrup
- 1 Egg white
- 3 Maraschino cherries optional for garnish
- 1 large ice cube
- In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes, add Bourbon, Elderflower liqueur, freshly squeezed Lemon juice, Simple syrup, and Egg white.
- Shake vigorously for 8-12 sec. until it created great foam.
- Strain into a rock glass with a large ice cube, top with a garnish of maraschino cherries, and ENJOY!
- Prepare the glasses and leave them for 15 minutes in your freezer before preparing the cocktail to obtain frozen glasses that will help us keep our cocktail cold for longer.
- Use large ice cubes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 58mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 4g
Nutrition information isn´t always accurate!